Backyard Gardening Grow Our Own Food House J New House

Project Grow Our Own Food: Raised Garden Bed Reveal

May 20, 2013

It took 2 wheelbarrows, 5 people, and 4 hours to move 7 yards of top soil from our driveway to the raised garden bed in our backyard….

As much as I would love to take credit for this beautiful garden, ‘J’ was definitely the project manager for this large undertaking. From doing the engineered drawings to ordering all the materials, ‘J’ spent a lot of his spare time getting this garden ready over the past month.

How Much Did it Cost?
I am going to be honest – this garden was not exactly cheap. We estimate we spent close to $500 on all the materials + all the time a labour we put into it. But, it’s a small price to pay in order to get the freshest, healthiest vegetables possible. Nothing excites me more than the idea of being able to walk out to the backyard when I need a pepper, or tomato, or some fresh herbs!

Next Steps + An “Oopsie”
With the structure built and filled, we still need to plant our seedlings, which you might remember we started back in April. After a little mishap earlier this month (exposing the plants to direct sunlight for too long – oopsie), we lost a lot of the seeds we started germinating, so Saturday morning ‘J’ and I also headed to a local, organic seedling sale to purchase some plants that didn’t germinate… peppers, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, dill, chives, cilantro, parsley, and asian lettuces – just to name a few.

Now that we have almost everything we need, I can’t wait to get these things planted & growing!

You Might Also Like:

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

• Reply Casey March 5, 2014 at 4:18 am

I'd really like to do this design for my own garden. What are the dimensions?

• Reply Britt March 5, 2014 at 11:45 am

Thanks for your interest Casey! The long sides are 15ft long and a little over 3ft wide. The wide connector piece at the back is 8ft wide. The sides are 24 inches tall. Hope that helps!

• Reply Greg April 26, 2015 at 5:44 am

The raised beds look wonderful. What kind of wood did you use?

• Reply Donna Primeaux April 16, 2017 at 8:32 am

I love the raised bed for gardening! I need this at home♡♡♡ I really,really,really like it!!!

• Reply Britt Stager April 17, 2017 at 12:38 am

Thank you so much Donna! I highly suggest raised garden beds if you have the space! 🙂

• Reply Terry April 16, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Are those lights on the corners? If so, why? I’d think they attract moths and other insects, which will feed on your vegetation. Otherwise, it looks great.

• Reply Britt Stager April 17, 2017 at 12:38 am

Hi Terry, thanks for your comments! The lights are purely decorative! They are solar powered and only light up at night. In terms of moths and insects, we’ve never really had any problems with them in this garden. I see earwigs in our lettuce once and a while, but that’s about it! 🙂

• Reply Judy Gilbert April 17, 2017 at 12:34 am

My husband built two of these for me several years ago. They work great. I would suggest that besides top soil that you add significant amount of peat moss to lighten up the soil and prevent it from drying out so fast. Also, lots of manure or organic fertilizer or green crop in the off season to enrich the soil. Straight top soil gets very dense and the crops are much more bountiful with the soil additives.

• Reply Britt Stager April 17, 2017 at 12:41 am

Thanks so much for the tips Judy! We’ve been using a mixture of rabbit manure and spent mushroom substrate in the garden, we also have a strict watering schedule in the summer months so nothing dries out!

• Reply Robbie April 17, 2017 at 1:13 am

Wonderful idea! What type of wood did you use? Thanks!

• Reply Britt Stager April 17, 2017 at 1:24 am

Hi Robbie, the sideboards are pine and the posts are cedar. You can see how we built the garden bed here: http://bit.ly/2prwANi

• Reply Annette April 18, 2017 at 10:48 pm

Is the wood treated? I heard you cannot use treated wood if you are planting food

• Reply Britt Stager April 19, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Hi Annette, we decided to use untreated pine vs. a treated lumber because of a number of chemicals associated with the treatment process. We didn’t want these chemicals leaching into the soil and contaminating our vegetables. This is also the reason why we opted not to line the garden with a plastic liner – I was unable to source a food-grade/safe plastic that was cost effective and large enough.

• Reply Doug April 22, 2017 at 10:06 pm

What thickened are your boards? They look like 1x material. Another option would be to use cedar boards. They would last much longer.

• Reply Doug April 22, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Oops, I meant “thickness” in my last comment.

• Reply Britt Stager April 23, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Hi Doug, the boards are standard 2×16’s. Yes if you are looking for boards that will last much longer than pine, cedar is the better option! 🙂